[kwlug-disc] KWLUG vps server

Andrew Stevanus hoot893 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 13:54:44 EDT 2017

I like the idea of Discourse in theory, but unfortunately it requires
JavaScript to be able to post anything. Discourse pages can't even be
viewed when using uMatrix (though admittedly this is partially uMatrix's
fault for not supporting <noscript> tags). The project is apparently
licensed as GPLv2, and I assume the JS is too, so at least it's not
proprietary, but it's still less than ideal.

On 26/03/17 11:45 AM, Chamunks wrote:
> I really quite enjoy the Discourse forums format as its designed to unbury the hopefully most relevant sections of the forum conversation.  If we wanted to have something a bit more modernized for our lovely old lug.  > > I would also give a +1 to a nextcloud that'd be kinda neat.  I was
going to upgrade my OwnCloud instance on my NAS but discovered that 2 of
my drives are coming close to being in a scary situation and I'm not
willing to gamble on 2 so I'll leave it powered off until I get around
to adding new drives. > > On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 10:50 AM Mark Steffen
<rmarksteffen at gmail.com <mailto:rmarksteffen at gmail.com>> wrote: > >
Hi bs, > >     I've set up the VPS and emailed creds to you, Bob and
Paul. > >     Daily backups are automatically taken to local backup
storage at the datacentre, I also do weekly backups of everything
off-site (via encrypted USB drive(s)) as I prefer to have immutable
backups in this day and age.  There is a feature in the control panel
which Bob has access to that will let you take snapshots at your own
pleasure to prep for big changes you may need to roll-back from. > >
Cheers, > >     *Mark Steffen* >     Office Direct: +1.226.476.1240
<tel:(226)%20476-1240> | Mobile/WhatsApp: +1.226.600.0464
<tel:(226)%20600-0464> >     /"Don't believe everything you read on the
Internet." -Abraham Lincoln/ > > > >     On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 1:58
AM, B.S. <bs27975.2 at gmail.com <mailto:bs27975.2 at gmail.com>> wrote: >
>         I would be interested in participating in a Nextcloud group
instance maintenance. Group (volunteer) e-engagement has proven to be
problematic at OOTC, so exploring alternative mechanisms could be
leverageable. > >         IIUC, Nextcloud is far more than 'just' the
file sharing first thought of when the term is heard, so it seems to
make sense that Bob would suggest it. > >         Although I'm not
particularly e-social, I don't expect helping maintain any such would be
a problem. > >         Distro should be stock Debian Jessie. Hostname
kwlugs1 (?) - not that it much matters - more important will be the DNS
names, which will depend upon the multiple envisioned services Bob
suggests firing up. (And associated cert/key correlations.) More
problematic may be figuring out a documentation model up front - from
the perspectives of both migration (new OS' instances every few years),
and maintenance (new maintainers needing to get up to speed on the
instance quickly). Some sort of snapshot / backup / replication facility
also seems prudent - should an in-place OS upgrade go south, reverting
will be desirable. And, stuff happens. > > >         On 03/25/2017 02:34
PM, Mark Steffen wrote: > >             Sounds good Bob. If someone can
'second' that by way of volunteering for >             maintenance, I'll
be glad to go ahead and set it up if you let me know >             disk
and ram requirements, preferred distro and a hostname. > >
Cheers, > >             *Mark Steffen* >             Office Direct:
+1.226.476.1240 <tel:%2B1.226.476.1240> | Mobile/WhatsApp:
+1.226.600.0464 <tel:%2B1.226.600.0464> >             /"Don't believe
<bjonkman at sobac.com <mailto:bjonkman at sobac.com> >

<mailto:kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> >