[kwlug-disc] Devuan, a distro without systemd

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jul 29 11:00:21 EDT 2017

Debian does not 'allow it'. It is a workaround by one person, not an
advocated configuration variant.

If you install Debian you get systemd, with no official way to switch.

So it is not a viable solution.

Notice when he says: "I chose LXDE for the GUI as it has no direct
systemd dependencies".

So, the other three desktops, Gnome, KDE and XFCE, all depend on
systemd. They are the more widely used, and their users are forced to
use systemd. , And that is where the real issue lies.

And I tried checking on Ubuntu 16.04, and neither sysvinit-core nor
runit-systemd exist.