[kwlug-disc] Devuan, a distro without systemd

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Jul 28 14:40:06 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 08:29:54PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> - All major distros have implemented systemd in a mandatory fashion,
> not replaceable by any other alternative. There is no way to replace
> systemd with some other init system, and that is why something like
> Devuan was invented. I hate this 'force things on us' attitude with no
> alternatives. Even the most divisive desktop wars did not do this, and
> we have a choice (witness Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, ...etc.)

This is the main one, in my opinion.  It's not just the distros, but
systemd itself has that attitude, as I understand it.

There's a feeling that systemd didn't win because it was the best, but
because it was decided for you.  And disagreement is not allowed.

It's like the Borg. :-)

And real geeks will fight that kind of thing, even if the software *is*
the best around.

- Chris