[kwlug-disc] Music Management

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 20:58:42 EDT 2017

"Hi Jeff"

> I've never used Wine before, so I'm also wondering if this would be a
> good cheat or not.  I'm concerned about letting a Windows program mess
> around with the Linux file system, though...

Remember, Wine is a Linux program, that permits regular Linux access for
programs making Windows calls. Which is to say ... you are no more at
risk with a Wine program than with any other Linux program. So, for
example, as you don't run wine programs as root, your system files are
no more at risk than with any other Linux non-root running program.

[Worst case, you might impact Windows systems files, albeit probably not
without warning, but (wine) Windows system files are not Linux system
files. You might impact other (wine) Windows programs, but not generally
Linux programs.]

For another example, some run Firefox under Wine to deal with things
like flash. So even then impact doesn't exceed what Firefox would
permit. (And if wine isn't running, an errant java process isn't either.)

You can run different wine programs under different profiles
(WINE_PREFIX IIRC), so you could isolate different Wine (Windows)
programs from each other.

Worst case, IIRC, apt-get --reinstall install wine1.x, would restore
'stock' -windows- system files.

Doesn't mean one errant running program won't botch files (like media
files) in a mapped drive (e.g. to your NAS), impacting another wine
program with similarly mapped drives, but that's still wine programs
operating upon data (media) files, not Linux system files. [Unless
you're cron running some bash script generated by the wine program, etc.]

I have found WineHQ, e.g. https://wiki.winehq.org/Winetricks , useful.
FWIW. YMMV.