[kwlug-disc] Request for LAMP based software

Jon Thiele jthiele at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 09:07:30 EDT 2017

I (used to) run a couple of LAMP based websites from my home office for two
groups of friends.  Very low volume - about 1,000 page hits a month.   I
ran an ancient version of PHPNuke as my platform for both sites.   They
were modelled after slashdot.org, where users could submit a post, get it
greenlighted by an admin and then others could comment on the post of their
favourite cat video, bar, fishing pole, joke etc.  However, due to security
concerns regarding PHPNuke, and my PHPNuke would only run on PHP version 3,
I told both groups last year that I could no longer run their sites.

One group went to FaceBook *cough* - but the other group is asking me to
setup their site again.

I know that many members here have vast and varied experience setting up
websites for clients and themselves.  So, I'm looking for a CMS or
something similar that is very easy to setup and maintain(!), has the same,
or close to functionality of slashdot (or maybe reddit) and is LAMP based.
Ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Jon