[kwlug-disc] Deny Internet access for some LAN devices

B. S. bs27975 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 16:57:41 EDT 2017

Right, but that assumes his home router has that ability. (He did note
it at least has the basic ability to deny an ip, and has done so.)

The comment about turning off UPnP is prudent, mirroring my same on the
device itself. Which could in turn be mirrored by anything else
aggregating UPnP within the place. Seems that many devices come by
default exposing, and aggregating, UPnP by default. Including Linux. Not
all of which by default turn on a firewall or iptables.

In one case I had to find a UPnP discoverer app for my Android to find a
camera - upon running it I was startled to discover how many other
things were advertising. Unexpectedly, and inadvertently.

 > Right, but that assumes the home router has that ability.

Thus my comment about making his Pi (the camera) gateway. It will have
such ability. Aside from specifically controlling forwarding (e.g. via
vpn, and internal devices then look for the cameras via internal routes
to the PI), simple iptables drops to 0.0.0.0 become possible.

OpenWRT et al would bring similar functionality to the table.

It is arguable everyone should be running with pfSense et al in front of
everything, explicitly controlling their traffic. IoT firmware bugs
(e.g. cameras) have demonstrated one's internal network probably isn't
as opaque as one thinks.

Doesn't protect against running a browser as root, though! Nor anything
else inviting stuff in that phone's home / attacks from inside.

Which likely examine the local machine's routes, probably leading to
camera discovery and access.