[kwlug-disc] UPS + separate external battery?

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Apr 11 00:11:13 EDT 2017

UPS vendors typically have options with different technologies.
You want to avoid the cheapest/least-expensive standby UPS and
go with a line-interactive device.  If your power source is really
suspect - like from a diesel generator - go with a double-conversion
UPS.

For line-interactive or better designs, the difference in pricing between
vendors tends to fade out. Then where/what to buy becomes a question
of supporting local business and quality of service.  I work with
Eaton, APC and Tripplite UPS hardware everyday and generally they
are all of good quality (ex. Tripplite SNMP/web cards!).