[kwlug-disc] etckeeper, and not - prepping for the day I inevitably shoot myself in the foot?

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 11:09:50 EDT 2017

So, I can see value in keeping everything in a directory in git, for the
day I change some config file when trying something, decide that was the
wrong thing to try, and want to revert but forget what I did. (e.g. Some
obscure option setting I can't recall the specific syntax for.)

To that end, I've installed etckeeper, and will just let that run.

Outside of /etc, I can 'git init' any given directory, and duplicate
etckeeper's daily cron git commits in some fashion. (cd favdir ; while
true ; git -am add ; git commit; sleep 24hours ; done; )

I don't use git enough to ever be able to remember command lines, so
could appreciate the idea of a git aware file browser gui that
understands working backwards / forwards in file versions. I see, for
example, git-gui, which will spawn gitk as desired, and google quickly
reveals many other gui candidates. Also cool is sshfs'ing and running
such gui on local system against remote non-gui server. (Not looking to
replicate such git's / there is no git server there.)

What am I?

i.e. What facilities / search terms am I blindly groping in the dark
towards?

I am going to shoot myself in the foot eventually, and will want to
revert to a prior file version. Assume no backups. (i.e. I could daily
rsync / snapshot to dated file/directory versions, but that's just
another form of what I'm already asking about.) K.I.S.S. / easy viewing
of prior file versions, applies.

Suggestions? / thoughts? / links? / thanks.