[kwlug-disc] International Day Against DRM

Keefer Rourke mail at krourke.org
Wed Apr 5 13:52:21 EDT 2017

Hey folks,

Forewarning, this is a little political, but relevant to the LUG due to
the threat that DRM imposes on FLOSS and related philosophy.

Sunday July 9th is International Day Against DRM, a campaign
spearheaded by Defective By Design and the FSF. [1]

For those of you not in-the-know, DRM (Digital Restrictions
Management) is the practice of imposing technological restrictions that
control what users can do with digital media, thus, by legal means
(and/or by some other means in the software) limiting a user's freedom
and preventing what may be possible without such Restrictions. [2]

Currently, the W3C is considering standardizing methods for DRM on the
web, which does not bode well for net neutrality or freedom on the
Internet. [3] Basically, there is a lot of momentum building up to the
IDADRM which can/will consist of small protests, gatherings,
information provision/teaching/education opportunities and
demonstration of the fact that we need a future without big
corporations unnecessarily restricting how and for which purpose we use
software products and technology.

Is anyone on this list aware of any organization or plans for having
for a Day Against DRM in the Kitchener-Waterloo region? With DRM
pushers like Google, et. al. in the region, the collective voice of
Free Software advocates in our region might have some impact.

If there are no current plans, or if someone is looking for a guide for
what to do on IDADRM, Defective by Design has an event planning guide.
[4]

Thoughts?

[1] https://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm
[2] https://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm_digital_restrictions_