[kwlug-disc] Extending WiFi Range

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Sun Apr 2 20:33:19 EDT 2017

jvj at golden.net wrote on 2017-04-02 11:02 AM:

> As with cell phones many use the term "reception" when referring to
> performance the device, e.g. cell phone, notebook, laptop, etc. They
> forget that there may be "reception" issues a the other end whether the
> other end is a wifi router or cell tower. The device is, after all, a
> two way instrument, both an RF receiver and a RF transmitter. RF signals
> are transmitted from the device and are received at the wifi router or
> cell tower.

This touches on a valid and interesting point: a stronger AP that
reaches the farthest corners doesn't mean it can *hear* responses from
those corners.

There's some interesting talk about turning down the RSSI (Received
Signal Strength Indicator) on APs in the ArsTechnica article I mentioned
earlier.

I believe it's this one (802 eleventy WHAT?):

> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-kind-of-sucks/

Essentially, interference can play a large role (though not necessarily
applicable in this particular case of Khalid's).

Highly recommended reading, should it have been overlooked earlier.

Regards,

rb