[kwlug-disc] Cheap UPS [Was: Re: Extending WiFi Range]

Sun Apr 2 19:47:13 EDT 2017

> On Apr 2, 2017, at 5:53 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:
> B.S wrote:
>> - batteries at http://www.batterywholesale.ca/ on Lawrence. Really
>> good / helpful guy.
>
> Also a wide selection at Sayal (I saw them at the Burlington store, no
> reason to think Cambridge won't have them too), and a smaller
> selection at Neutron Electronics in Guelph. I suspect Neutron may have
> fresher stock than Sayal; an old,  completely flat battery might never
> charge up again.

I find Sayal’s prices too high. I haven’t heard of batterywholesale before, but when I last redid all my batteries I’d bought batteries from Batteries Unlimited on Lexington in Waterloo.

I have a number of older APC UPSes which are on their third or fourth sets of batteries. Been very, very happy with the hardware, and the batteries work well too (+1 for Ronald for mentioning deep cycle batteries).

The only UPS I haven’t replaced the batteries on yet is a huge 1400VA unit (APC SU1400RM), although once I get a rack installed I’ll probably splurge to get it up and running.

-A.