[kwlug-disc] Let's Encrypt standalone mode

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Apr 2 11:44:50 EDT 2017

The letsencrypt program that is in the 16.04 repos did not work for
renewal. This may be due to the version being quite old compared to the
current version from the EFF.

There is another way though: you get the current version, yet use debian's
package management for dependencies.

Here is how to do it:

=== Initial certificates ===
# Add certbot's repository
aptitude install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:certbot/certbot

# Update
aptitude update

# Install certbot
aptitude install certbot

# Stop the web server
service nginx stop

# Issue a certificate for each domain that you have
certbot certonly --standalone -d example.org -d www.example.org
certbot certonly --standalone -d example.com -d www.example.com

# Start the web server
service nginx start
=== End ===

For renewals you do this:

=== Renewals ===
# Stop the web server
service nginx stop

# Attempt to renew all the certificates for all domains
certbot renew

# Start the web server
service nginx start

--