[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 16.04 audio issues

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Fri May 20 21:33:54 EDT 2016

Using the Pulseaudio control panel (click the speaker and select Sound
Settings) you can see what is playing audio and where it thinks it is playing.
Start something that makes sound and look in the Playback to see if it is
listed.  It may or may not also have a selector to chose which device is the
destination soundcard.  In the Output Devices tab your sound devices each have
an entry, and you should see the audio level visualized in the level meter.
If the device has output options there will be a selection box.  Check that it
isn't sending the audio to something you can't hear (like headphones if there
are no headphones attached, etc.)  If it is being sent to an HDMI audio device
and you don't have anything attached to your HDMI port you will hear no audio

Brent

Sent from [Nylas N1](https://nylas.com/n1?ref=n1), the extensible, open source
mail client.

On May 20 2016, at 4:29 pm, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> I agree with Paul, that controls are sometimes muted after an install,
for whatever reason.

> In a terminal, type:

> alsamixer

> And hit F5, then go through each control and see if any of them
changes your sound settings.