[kwlug-disc] Cross Platform Messaging Clients

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri May 13 12:19:06 EDT 2016

Jason wrote:
> True, but [Pidgin]'s never been terribly good at IRC.

Hm.. I use Pidgin only for XMPP and IRC. I've never been able to
figure out Hexchat, for example, and if dedicated IRC clients offer
features that Pidgin doesn't then those are features I haven't needed.

My worry is that Pidgin development is stagnant, and what development
does occur isn't addressing well-documented vulnerabilities.

Perhaps we need a KWLUG Night of the Chat Client Shootout?

- --Bob.

On 2016-05-13 10:56 AM, Jason Locklin wrote:

> On 13/05/16 10:41 AM, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account)
> wrote:
>>> Pidgin and the like have always been a bit of an unstable mess
>>> with all the constantly changing, underlying protocols that
>>> they need to support (that said, I do still use Bitlbee for
>>> XMPP, Twitter, and Facebook).
>>
>> There is an important distinction here I think that needs to be
>> made.
>>
>> Pidgin has been a bit of an unstable mess because the underlying
>> protocols it’s trying to unify are obfuscated, undocumented and
>> change without warning.
>>
>> XMPP has always worked. IRC has always worked.
>>
>> Google Hangouts stopped federating for a while, but now they
>> seem to be federating again. No official word on changing their
>> stance, but maybe a glimmer of hope.
>>
>> All this walled-garden “gotta try to trap the users in our
>> specific app” is terribly frustrating and reminds me of the old
>> MSN/ICQ/Y! messaging wars.
>
> True, but it's never been terribly good at IRC. Dedicated IRC and
> XMPP clients have generally been quicker to implement new features
> and support old ones consistently. It's a big load trying to
> support many protocols *and* keeping the UI functioning well.

- --
Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> Phone: +1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software --- Office & Business Automation --- Consulting