[kwlug-disc] 4TB drive throwing errors - what's current drive thinking these days?

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sun May 8 23:04:50 EDT 2016

I noticed these drives have an explicit workload limit (not sure if it
affects warranty). In:
http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/enterprise-hdd-fam/enterprise-capacity-3-5-hdd/enterprise-capacity-3-5-hdd/en-us/docs/100791104b.pdf

" Maximum Rated Workload | Maximum rate of <550TB/year"

Apparently this the 550TB is for read+write data transferred.
That does not seem like much for a 10TB drive - only 55 whole disk
and it includes reads (unlike similar ratings for flash drives).
Weekly ZFS scrubs on a mostly-full drive would eat up almost all of that
rating.

While I can appreciate that a drive at 90% duty-cycle will have a shorter
life than one at 10%, more data on just how short that life will be
would be
welcome.  Maybe the 8TB drive with the same 550TB/yr rating is a better
value?