[kwlug-disc] Secure email alternative

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 20:41:15 EDT 2016

On 06/28/2016 05:54 PM, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 10:00:47AM -0400, B.S. wrote:
>>
>> Paul, could you explain your expected use case / purpose - it's
>> intriguing. (And it feels like the suggestions don't preclude GUI or
>> web use, so perhaps a bonus. [RSS feeds? Android/smartphone
>> receipt?])
>
> Okay, I'll bite. I hope that it does not blow up the conversation into
> a big controversy, however.
>
> Basically, I have been thinking about how to hire sysadmins better.
.
.
.
> of the process by making potential applicants do sysadminny things as
> part of the job application process? Configuring a mail client is not
> proof that someone will make a good sysadmin, but being unable to do
> so is evidence that maybe they shouldn't be applying.

Interesting. Thanks. No way I could have come up with this.

Not being able to configure a mail client from the command line, given
the sheer number of them, shouldn't negate anyone. Depends upon how much
or frequently one has done so. More telling would be given a 'template',
doing so. Or more telling, adding 20 new users, having an example of the
first, by coding a script to do the rest.

Every environment is different. Wacking the heck out of something via
GUI, before doing it the right way via command line, then scripting
such, is probably more common than not. Being able to do so is probably
telling - but I don't expect determining that beforehand would be easy.

I appreciate the challenge 'hirers', let alone applicants, face. I
wonder if forcing application submission via a web form, where you get
to set all the fields to your criteria, is useful. Especially if the
form won't submit if sufficient criteria aren't met. i.e. They'll know
immediately if they don't have the minimum you're looking for, and can
get on with their day in a different direction.

I also appreciate not wanting to get into a debate over what's the
right/wrong way to go about things. Your own experience, environment,
and culture, has demonstrated the truth of your world to you. I imagine
you need to gauge the ability to learn and adapt quickly to the
specifics of your installation - doing so beforehand will be
challenging. Certainly I wish you the best of success in your attempts.

Thanks again for the response. Interesting and intriguing.