[kwlug-disc] More August presentations needed

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 28 18:13:25 EDT 2016

Can you offer a quick 10-15 minute presentation about some FLOSSy
topic? WWITPro had "Forums Night" yesterday and it was really good!
Presentations where people talk about things they use in practice are
often really interesting.

We had some rumours that people wanted to talk about how the Internet
works. Would you (yes, you!) be willing to bite off a bit of that
topic?

There are many other ideas for quick topics. Daniel offered a good
list recently:

> Other potential topics...
> 1. Scripting in the BASH shell.
> 2. Pros/Cons of using various open-source, free/libre operating systems
> 3. Managing/maintaining your family photo collection.
> 4. SELinux
> 5. Systemd (pros and cons, how about an honest discussion)
> 6. Licensing types (https://www.fsf.org/licensing)
> 7. Avoiding vendor lockin
> (ex. http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/79417.html)
> 8. Email vs. texting vs. twitter vs. FB vs. good old fashioned phone cal
> 9. Open firmware / open hardware
> 10. Encrypted  backup to your home network
> 11. Web browser vulnerability and how GNU/Linux distributions compare
> to OpenBSD,OSX,etc.
> 12. I've never used Arduino, would it be useful for me? Could it
> replace my old computers?
> 13. Energy savings. Would it be less expensive to run a newer computer
> that hibernates vs. my old computer. Does it cost more per year to run
> my old computer than a modern computer?

- Paul
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org