[kwlug-disc] RJ45 crimper -- good brand?

John Van Ostrand john at vanostrand.com
Wed Jun 22 11:26:49 EDT 2016

That type of crimper is what we used at Net Direct for years, It was the
only one we used.

The tester in the handle doesn't impress me. All you're going to get for a
decent price is a continuity tester and usually fine for runs that don't
approach max length. Have you looked at AliExpress or Deal Extreme? That's
where I got my tester, it's kind of cheap-ish, but I only use it at home.
They also have crimpers and locators. A simple crimper with separate tester
is about $12. Wire locators can be handy too. I like to have the cable
numbering organized so I terminate the wall outlets first then use the
locator prior to punching down on a panel so I get the ordering I want.
Locators work with any cable which has at least two conductors so coaxial,
telephone, etc.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 6:18 PM, William Park via kwlug-disc <
kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the link to Infinite Cables. They are close to my work.  I was
> looking for USB Type-C cables, actually.
>
> For RJ45, however, I want crimping tool.  Ethernet cables are cheap, but
> those things add up, then add shippings.  I'm currently looking at
>
>     1.
> https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.crimp-n-test-rj45-crimper-and-tester-4-in-1-tool-cuts-strips-terminates-and-tests-1ea.1000751621.html
>
>     2.
> http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Electronics/Home-Office/Computers/Connections/Modular-Plug-Crimper-for-RG11-RJ45/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I3571246?Ntt=RJ45
>
> --
> William
>

> On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 3:09 PM, "Nickle, Brian" <brian at nickle.ca>
> wrote:
>

> Honestly just use 110 punch downs and buy pre-fabricated patch cables.
> Cables are dirt cheap and not really worth the effort in my opinion.   Try
> http://www.infinitecables.com they are about the same price as monoprice
> but they ship next day out of Markham.
> Thanks
> Brian