[kwlug-disc] Secure email alternative

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:00:47 EDT 2016

On 06/22/2016 01:22 AM, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:

>> Seems like your own mail server is what you want. Host one with no
>> web interface. You could force it to use passwordless SSH to
>> register and login. Use TLSv1.2 and SASL to encrypt in transport.
>
>> You did not state requirements for data encryption, so all the boxes
>> are checked.
>
> Huh. That is interesting. I had not thought about setting up an email
> server that only supported local delivery. That could work nicely for
> this use case.

Paul, could you explain your expected use case / purpose - it's
intriguing. (And it feels like the suggestions don't preclude GUI or web
use, so perhaps a bonus. [RSS feeds? Android/smartphone receipt?])

Your specifications almost mind me of an intra-office alert / chat /
SMS/IRC, ~BB msg'r, PA / status system. Server down in aisle 5.
(Emergency - office lockdown.)

Such also minds me of a Snort / IDS / low disk space systems monitors
alerts destination. (Such burying one in e-mail becomes problematic.)

Intriguing.