[kwlug-disc] Converting .pptx files to multiple .png

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jun 20 19:19:22 EDT 2016

B.S. wrote:
> Hadn't thought of exporting to png as Bob is thinking, nor much
> considered export to pdf beyond whole slides. i.e. no transitions.
> [...] (A 'player' would make Bob's png's unneeded?)

I recorded a presentation on the weekend, and was given a copy of the
.pptx presentations so I could follow along on my computer recording
the audio and keep the slides in synch (kudos to Kirk Zurell for
inspiring me; this is how he recorded Paul Nijjar's "How to Win
Electoral Reform" presentation last year).

Unfortunately, many of the fancy slide transitions didn't work in
LibreOffice; I got lost a couple of times and had to back up (so much
for synching with audio); and anyway, recordmydesktop didn't keep up,
so there were pixel blocks from earlier slides obscuring the current
slide (but the --full-shots parameter might have fixed that).

The idea was that the video (recorded separately) and screencap could
have been combined in KDEnlive to make a nice integrated video. But
since the screencap video is useless, now I'm looking at grabbing each
presentation slide as a .png and adding that to KDEnlive as a static
image.

Unfortunately, slides where the text appears progressively doesn't
translate well to .pptx -> .pdf -> .png, but Alex Zhang on the GTALUG
mailing list pointed me to the "Expand Animations" .oxt plugin
https://github.com/monperrus/ExpandAnimations/issues  It's not perfect
(doesn't preserve master slide background colors or gradients), but it
creates an intermediate *-expanded.odp file that I can work with.
Still, it means manipulating each .pptx file separately and manually.

Thanx to all, problem solved!

- --Bob.

- --