[kwlug-disc] RJ45 crimper -- good brand?

John Van Ostrand john at vanostrand.com
Fri Jun 17 09:40:06 EDT 2016

I've used a few and I don't really prefer one over another. Since I've
stopped working, and left all those cool tools with my former business
partner, I've had to acquire a new crimper to do some home cabling. Now
that I only do a few plugs every year I just bought a cheap one at Home
Depot for about $60. I think it was "Ideal" brand.

The technique I use to ensure a good crimp is that I cut back the
insulation, rip cord and core (if it's cat6)  an extra half centimetre,
arrange the wires in order. You can straighten curly wires by pinching the
wire between finger and thumb and bending back and forth slightly while
pulling the wire through the punch, shift it 90 degrees and do it again.
Once in order do the same pinch technique with all the wires at one, it
tends to make them stay put better. Trim the extra half centimetre off to
get a nice straight edge. Now that the wires are prepared here re the most
important steps.  I insert the wires into the plug and push firmly to seat
them. I do a visual to make sure I didn't accidentally cross wires and that
the wire insulation extends under the cable clamp, then I put it in the
crimper and ensure that I can see all 8 "dots" (wires) clearly from the end
of the plug. This ensures that all wires are fully seated. After a firm
crimp (or two) I inspect the brass contacts to ensure they are all sunken.
Running a thumbnail over the ridges to ensure they are all sunken also
works.

To get a feel for what the dots looks like, experiment a little. Leave a
wire out and see if you can tell the difference.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:17 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

John Van Ostrand
At large on sabbatical