[kwlug-disc] This sounds scary? no more GPL?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Jun 9 21:15:55 EDT 2016

B.S. wrote
> There is a 3rd use case, which is what I thought was going on -
> what I would call thunking. (Think windows.) Think LD_PRELOAD.
>
> I write 'api' calls with identical headers to the underlying
> API/SDK. I munge things in between, possibly returning directly,
> and possibly calling the underlying API and munging the return.
> Essentially replacing the pointer to function func, and internally
> calling the direct _func functions instead.

Interesting! But I don't think that was the case with Oracle and Google.
 Google only partially implemented the Java API, but I don't think that
was Oracle's concern either.  I suspect their true motivation was that
Google's Android phone made a ton of money, but the Oracle Java Phone
never made it off the drawing board (if it ever even made it TO the
drawing board!)[1].

There was another use case I read about[2] where a vendor made available
an API for their service for "API consumers", but the API was then used
to create a competitive service. The author of [2], Peter Bright
believes that's a clear case of Fair Use. But he thinks Google's use
of Oracle's API is a clear case of infringement since Google didn't
fully implement Oracle's API, so Google should (and could) have
created their own (incompatible) API.

But I don't think API copyrights or patents should ever stifle
competition and a better product. Must be because I'm such a Free
Software fanatic...

- --Bob.

[1]
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/06/how-oracles-fanciful-history-of-the-smartphone-failed-at-trial/2/