[kwlug-disc] Fwd: It's that time of term... EOT (plus prof talk)!

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Jul 23 16:16:14 EDT 2016

A Linux presentation at UofW CSClub!

- --Bob.

- -------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [CSC] It's that time of term... EOT (plus prof talk)!
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 19:37:50 -0400
From: Computer Science Club <csc-general at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
To: csc-general at csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Hello programs,

Join us on Monday, July 25th at 6pm in the MC Comfy Lounge for an
exciting prof talk by Richard Mann on Open Source Computer Sound
Measurement. The abstract for the talk is below. We will follow this
up by an EOT event with dinner and board games! Last event of the
term, get hype.

 Abstract:

> An ideal computer audio system should faithfully reproduce signals
> of all frequencies in the audible range (20 to 20,000 cycles per
> second). Real systems, particularly mobile devices and laptops, may
> still produce acceptable quality, but often have a limited
> response, particularly at the low (bass) frequencies.
>
> Sound/acousic energy refers to time varying pressure waves in air.
> When recording sound, the acoustic signal will be picked up by
> microphone, which converts it to electrical signals (voltages).
> The signal is then digitized (analog to digital conversion) and
> stored as a stream of numbers in a data file.  On playback the
> digital signal is converted to an electrical signal (digital to
> analog conversion) and finally returned as an acoustic signal by a
> speaker and/or headphones.
>
> In this talk I will present open source software (Octave/Linux) to
> measure the end-to-end frequency response of an audio system using
> the Discrete Fourier Transform.  I will demonstrate the software
> using a standard USB audio interface and a consumer grade
> omnidirectional microphone.
>
> This is joint work with John Vanderkooy, Distinguished Professor
> Emeritus, Department of Physics and Astronomy.

Hope to see you there!

- ---
Melissa Tedesco
Vice President