[kwlug-disc] Russia seizes VPN servers

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Jul 11 22:13:49 EDT 2016

Not specifically Linux-related, but I thought this might be relevant to
users here.

Apparently Russia recently passed an anti-encryption law. From what I
understand, it requires all entities operating within Russia to provide
the ability for the FSB to decrypt traffic. Obviously, this is very bad
for those in Russia (and unfortunate for the inevitable "have to keep
up with the Jonses" arguments that will start elsewhere).

Today, VPN provider "Private Internet Access" sent out the following
information:

> To Our Beloved Users,   The Russian Government has passed a new law
> that mandates that every provider must log all Russian internet
> traffic for up to a year. We believe that due to the enforcement
> regime surrounding this new law, some of our Russian Servers (RU) were
> recently seized by Russian Authorities, without notice or any type of
> due process. We think it’s because we are the most outspoken and only
> verified no-log VPN provider.

That's quite bad. Luckily, they take security seriously:

> Luckily, since we do not log any traffic or session data, period, no
> data has been compromised. Our users are, and will always be, private
> and secure.
>
> Upon learning of the above, we immediately discontinued our Russian
> gateways and will no longer be doing business in the region.
>
> To make it clear, the privacy and security of our users is our number
> one priority. For preventative reasons, we are rotating all of our
> certificates. Furthermore, we’re updating our client applications with
> improved security measures to mitigate circumstances like this in the
> future, on top of what is already in place. In addition, our manual
> configurations now support the strongest new encryption algorithms
> including AES-256, SHA-256, and RSA-4096.

I'm worried they only noticed (and reacted quickly) *because* they take
security seriously. What about other services?

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
 xmpp:   chris at chrisirwin.ca