[kwlug-disc] Cable internet price increase

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 22:37:10 EST 2016

I got this email from VMedia last week:

To Our VMedia Community,

As many of you know, internet usage is increasing dramatically every year,
between 20-40% universally. VMedia, as an independent internet provider,
pays for the internet bandwidth we acquire and provide to you through a
pricing formula set by the CRTC that is partly based on usage. As consumer
usage goes up, our cost of the internet bandwidth we provide to you goes up
as well.

We do not agree with the way the CRTC has set those prices, and have been
diligently seeking to persuade the CRTC to change that pricing formula to
better reflect the true costs of the major bandwidth providers. We believe
internet is an essential service, a utility like water, which should be
priced as low as possible. You can read about some of our efforts in our
blog: http://www.vmedia.ca/blog/vmedia-intervenes-new-crtc-costing-process/
<http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30008192/www.vmedia.ca?p=eyJzIjoiWWtQWVVnNnd4WWN1UUFDWVJhTDc5MXBsb3JjIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDAwODE5MixcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwOlxcXC9cXFwvd3d3LnZtZWRpYS5jYVxcXC9ibG9nXFxcL3ZtZWRpYS1pbnRlcnZlbmVzLW5ldy1jcnRjLWNvc3RpbmctcHJvY2Vzc1xcXC9cIixcImlkXCI6XCI4Y2E5Njg3YjdmZTE0YzcwOTllYjFkOTFhMTY5OTQzZVwiLFwidXJsX2lkc1wiOltcIjliM2U4ODEzYThjOTc4NDc3YTJlMDFmODlmNmVhY2VmM2I0NzZkMmNcIl19In0>
and http://www.vmedia.ca/blog/vmedia-fair-internet-pricing/
<http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30008192/www.vmedia.ca?p=eyJzIjoiYTdmV09FTlIybzVPQmZuYVQ3V3hxR1l2N21JIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDAwODE5MixcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwOlxcXC9cXFwvd3d3LnZtZWRpYS5jYVxcXC9ibG9nXFxcL3ZtZWRpYS1mYWlyLWludGVybmV0LXByaWNpbmdcXFwvXCIsXCJpZFwiOlwiOGNhOTY4N2I3ZmUxNGM3MDk5ZWIxZDkxYTE2OTk0M2VcIixcInVybF9pZHNcIjpbXCIxYmRkMzcxODFlNjU0NzhjN2UwOWQ4OTA0MzQxYWE2NzQ4NzJhNGExXCJdfSJ9>

The major telecom and cable companies that we acquire bandwidth from make
huge, unjustifiable margins on the bandwidth they sell, both to consumers
and to ISPs like VMedia. VMedia does not.

VMedia believes that if the internet bandwidth which we acquire were priced
fairly, we could offer internet for much less than we do. Unfortunately we
cannot. However, we continue to try our best to keep prices as low as
possible, and to offer the best value in unlimited internet plans in the
market.

We also, however, need to stay in business. In the current environment, in
order to do so, we have to adjust our prices to take into account the
higher costs which we are faced with every month.

We are mindful of our customers' expectations and in keeping with our
desire to offer the best prices and services we are keeping those increases
as modest as we can.

Based on all these considerations, VMedia will be adjusting our monthly
internet rates as of March 1, 2016, with an increase of $3.00 per month,
while continuing our policy of providing only unlimited plans.

With our unlimited plans, our customers have the comfort of knowing they
don't need to worry about going over their limits and being forced to pay
overage charges of as much as $1.50 per gigabit, up to $100 per month
extra, as is the case with many of our competitors.

We also hope you will become active in expressing your desire for better
internet pricing structures, by commenting to the CRTC and to your elected
federal representatives whenever the opportunity arises. The costing
structure for internet is too high - let those responsible for setting them
know that you feel that way.

We appreciate your understanding, and your continued support.

Thank you.