[kwlug-disc] Linux Mint site hacked

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 24 14:03:18 EST 2016

So ... growing pains. Ce la vie. Live and learn and hopefully grow.

Let's not beat up on those volunteering their best, and let's not blame them for the misbehaviour of nefarious actors.

> You're likely to find similar one-person shops for many other Free
> Software projects

And praise be for them - we're all certainly the richer for them.

And for the larger projects ... they came from the same place, and many have suffered the same growing pains.

Thank goodness for them all.

Would Cinnamon or Mate have the popularity it does today, without Mint? I think unlikely, or at least not so far so fast.

> SysAdmin is hard. SecAdmin is harder.

Not so sure of that. Or ... not supposed to be. Isn't that the point of auto-application of security updates? [And ... after breach ... cue SysAdmin.]

Never mind that for such sized projects, they're one in the same person, frequently.

Regardless of current events, kudos to Mint for doing what it has. Lots of others haven't had as much success, and good on them.