[kwlug-disc] Re-re-re-re hashing the idea of running your own email server.

Cedric Puddy cedric at ccj.host
Sat Dec 17 17:52:06 EST 2016

Yes, I'm talking about Postini (which no longer exists, due to being
assimilated by Google), and friends.  I currently use Edgewave's ePrism
hosted email filtering service.

SpamAsssissin-on-steriods-as-a-Service is available from some very nice
people in Ottawa, by the name of Roaring Penguin, welll worth considering.

I've used MXLogic as well (which I believe Intel is in the midst of
killing), and Barracuda in various forms as well (they have both appliances
and online offerings).  There are dozens of such services in the world
(back when Postini went bust, I evaluated about 18 different services,
before selecting Edgewave, though Roaring Penguin was very close).  I've
heard of PostLayer, and understand both their service and pricing to be
good as well.

The main thing you are looking for is:
  - a service which you point your MX at, and then go in and configure it
to relay to your mail server
  - you configure the IPTables/firewall such that *only* the filter gets to
connect to your port 25 (if you want to relay email, leave 587 open, ensure
TLS is good, and that every connection there needs a valid authentication)
  - a service that allows you to configure you mail server to Smart Host
out via the service, so that it's their IP block, not yours, that the
receiving server sees.

-Cedric

   Cedric Puddy, IS Director            cedric at ccj.host