[kwlug-disc] "Microsoft's SQL Server Next for Linux, Windows"

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 20:37:33 EST 2016

I'm going to politely disagree there...  I am forced to use MS Office at
work, of course, and I've used MSO since its earliest days.  I actually got
certified in it back in the mid 90's.  But these days I am an avid fan of
LibreOffice.  Yes, it's not quite as robust of MS Office in many ways, but
trust me, MSO has a dark side that makes me scream out loud some days.
Especially the newer versions.  There are a number of things that I _used_
to be able to do in Outlook that MS decided I didn't need to do anymore, so
I switched to Thunderbird and never looked back (at least at home on my own
computers).  Excel and Word, while they're decent programs, just don't
understand anything but their own proprietary formats.  LO, on the other
hand, plays well with just about anything.

I don't blame anyone for liking MS Office, but I encourage people to try
out LibreOffice.  Once you get used to the differences, you'll love it more
and more each day.