[kwlug-disc] Secure IM news

Chamunks chamunks at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 02:14:49 EST 2016

"I'm running ZNC on this here mail server and using Atomic to connect to
it, and its battery usage is remarkably good."

I've got a ZNC running on a friends machine we tag team making sure it's in
good shape, I've at one point set up Pushover/Pushbullet on highlights so I
don't have to run a battery draining thing on the off chance I need to
check IRC on the go.  I would love something that would let me stay logged
in but have nearly no battery impact.  I'll check out F-Droid.  I idle in
about 6 different networks for various FOSS and other.  Granted I only tend
to really check 2 of these networks frequently.  We set up a LetsEncrypt
cert on the ZNC too so connectivity from the ZNC to my clients is at least
encrypted.  I can't say that for all of the networks but I do try to prefer
using some form of full circle crypto to IRC.  My client on mac has OTR
built in ( Textual ) it's technically open-source but you pay for the
compiled binary.  So you can technically compile it yourself for free if
you want but it's not generally the way you go.