[kwlug-disc] question -- booting from multiple ISOs in USB stick?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 28 13:29:32 EDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 06:37:50PM -0400, William Park wrote:

> Starting point of Syslinux (memdisk) is what I was looking for.
>     - kernel is "memdisk" and initrd is ISO image, so configuration is
>       easy to maintain.
>     - it finds the ISO -- you see dots filling the screen as ISO is
>       loaded.
>     - ISO boots -- you see the splash screen of ISO.
> Then, it complains it can't find the live filesystem, the very image it
> just loaded.

Yes, I have found this with the Ubuntu LiveCDs as well. I ended up
extracting the contents and pointing them to an nfsroot, which does
not help with USB booting. Here is the stanza that worked, for what it
is worth:

LABEL saucy-gui
        kernel ubuntu/saucy/i386-gui/vmlinuz
        append ro boot=casper only-ubiquity netboot=nfs
          nfsroot=172.26.107.3:/home/ftp/ubuntu/saucy/i386/
          initrd=ubuntu/saucy/i386-gui/initrd.lz quiet splash --
(the "append" line should all be one line)

The memdisk method works well for installer-only ISOs and a few other
(usually DOS-based) live CDs. I guess I should have been more explicit
about this in my earlier response.

> MultibootUSB.org extracts ISO, and puts the content into a partition.
> This is not what I want.

What happens now? How do things work with your two-USB solution?

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org