[kwlug-disc] question -- booting from multiple ISOs in USB stick?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Sep 27 12:55:27 EDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 12:14:01AM +0000, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> I made a multi-boot flash drive on a Windows client using YUMI.  It's very
> easy to follow.
>
> Sorry, I don't know the Linux equivalent of this.

One low-level answer is to use SYSLINUX, which now supports booting
directly off of ISOs. This is not that helpful, though, because most
(all?) Linux ISOs you care about are hybrid ISOs, which makes booting from
SYSLINUX more difficult:

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/MEMDISK#ISO_images

It takes some work to set up the initial infrastructure for SYSLINUX.
The advantage is that once you set up this infrastructure adding
additional ISOs should be relatively quick. We do this for our network
installers using PXELINUX.

It looks like this project automates some of the grunt work in
creating multiboot USB images from Linux:

http://multibootusb.org/

Of course, this is also not helpful because I have not personally used
this project.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org