[kwlug-disc] question -- booting from multiple ISOs in USB stick?

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 11:59:41 EDT 2015

On 26/09/15 07:14 PM, B.S. wrote:
> Are any of these persistent? i.e. you can make changes, create documents, etc., and when you shut down the state is written back to the stick?
>
> Not meaning to hijack the thread, but ... IIRC, all this stuff reacts differently on external drives (which behave exactly like internal drives, but slower?), than on sticks, it seems.
>
> So, if you used a small, 2.5", usb powered, external drive, would your life be easier? Perhaps even an SSD, for speed / robustness? e.g. Could use standard grub / multiple partitions?

Actually, no, there is no difference between the two types of physical
hardware. The difference is booting ISOs vs. installed systems. For
instance, the same dd command *could* be used to copy an ISO to a thumb
drive or an external hard drive to boot from -- but this would only
allow a single os at a time. Conversely you can install one or more
systems to a thumb drive or an external hard drive, using GRUB
(partitioning as normal). It's the same whether its one type of device
or the other.

The trick is getting Grub to boot from a list of ISOs on a drive. The
grub trick Bob mentioned or the windows scripts mentioned by Brian and
CrankyOldButter should work on either device as well --but I gave up
last time I tried to do it. -Jason