[kwlug-disc] Data transfer speeds SATA to SATA

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Tue Sep 22 12:27:40 EDT 2015

I don't expect it has so much to do with the CPU as the associated south bridge, the beastie handling the mass storage connectivity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southbridge_(computing) The CPU association is common though ... can't exactly put an Intel Southbridge on an AMD CPU, I expect.

As for speed, make sure everything in the chain is SATA III, I suppose, and I expect being on different controllers will help. e.g. My motherboard has both the 'stock' sata connections that come with the intel cpu and another onboard controller. There are PCIe cards at Canada Computers for under $50 - assuming you're not loading up the bus otherwise at the time. Can't say how significant, if any, separate controllers would bring to the party, but I expect it would have to be some.

No doubt not interrupting the I/O will help, but as noted presumably peeking at things (remotely) is only a blip in the duration. iotop should show you the copy as being the only thing beating the i/o to death.

If this is one off, probably not worth a further investment. If it isn't, you're going to want the backup on different hardware, and at that point net i/o will be the bottleneck, not the local hardware itself. Even a PIII can probably keep up with SATA II over a gigabit network, writing even. Run overnight, whether it takes 5 minutes or 15 to finish a backup probably won't matter to you.

I thought SATA IV was coming, but looks like it's only up to 3.2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#SATA_revision_3.2_.2816_Gbit.2Fs.2C_1969_MB.2Fs.29 / SATA Express. If the motherboard, drives, cards, all support the latest and greatest.

I see 6TB drives are at Canada Computers ... for only $359. 8-)
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_1086_210_212&item_id=078864

No stock, of course.