[kwlug-disc] Data transfer speeds SATA to SATA

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 17:17:36 EDT 2015

Wondering if others in the list have transferred large amounts of data over
internal SATA to SATA? I'm transferring approximately 768GB of data between
two drives (2TB and 3TB) and getting an average of 83MB/s according to
midnight commander). Reading some other threads it seems pretty good (one
thread talked about getting only 20MB/s) but I haven't done a lot of local
data transfer so I don't know what's a good speed.

The motherboard is a bit older (Socket 775/Core 2 generation), not sure if
an upgrade would help (I'd probably buy an inexpensive Socket FM2+), but if
it would double the speed I would probably spring for it. Right now the
transfer is 55% done with 1 hour and 13 minutes left. I should mention I'm
remotely connected to the system, but I doubt this will have any effect
since it's just transferring to the drive on the same remote system.

Cheers,

Charles