[kwlug-disc] Microsoft launches a Linux powered operating system - Linux Veda

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 18 21:46:30 EDT 2015

Interesting.

Thank you for the link.

MS going after Red Hat's, SuSe's, and hardware vendor's lunch?

The article notes: "We don’t yet know when and if Microsoft will release the source code of the project and which licence they will use for it; the Linux kernel is licenced under GNU GPLv2, so it has to be a compatible licence."

Is that entirely true? I get if they link in / copy source, but if I download, say, a driver or other software from a 3rd party after the fact (of install), does the GPL (one must make source code available) apply?
(vs, say, just call, or use APIs?)

Guess maybe it must be, else they must provide binaries for every possibility. Maybe not - hardware vendors only warrant on certain OS's, e.g. RHEL not CentOS. Hmmm.

[To be fair ... upon reading Joe's message I had to make sure the date wasn't April 1.]