[kwlug-disc] Presentation: replacing a laptop's hard disk

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 16 16:54:13 EDT 2015

> Also, cpio -a resets

He said cp, not cpio.

Rsync only does checksums when run as a daemon. e.g. rsync /fromhere tothere::/dest <- note the double colon, meaning daemon mode.

Else it's a local copy and checksumming is not done. e.g. Mount a samba share and rsync /fromhere /mnt/tothere/dest/dir

IIRC, rsync /fromhere tothere:/dest would be an NFS destination, so also not checksummed. (There has to be something running on the other end to calculate the received checksum.)

mondoarchive, however, accomplishes all that you say in your message. Including the generation of a boot cd. For what it's worth.

Also, arguably, btrfs takes you to the same place (self-checksumming), throwing an error if there is one. Giving you a chance to repair the single file issue (as you also accomplish), but in place.

Not arguing with you, I get you were presenting your experiences and your particular (eventually) successful resolution to the problem at hand / in front of you you were trying to solve at the time.