[kwlug-disc] Linux supported sound cards

peter_melse at gto.net peter_melse at gto.net
Tue Sep 1 15:08:48 EDT 2015

For configuring pulse audio, I highly recommend the program
pavucontrol. it's graphical, gives you all the options and just
works(ha, really) on most systems.

-------------------------
SUBJECT:
Re: [kwlug-disc] Linux supported sound cards
DATE: Tue, 01 Sep 2015
14:55:52 -0400
FROM: "R. Brent Clements"
TO: KWLUG discussion

REPLY-TO: KWLUG discussion

‎That is two message that my phone
defaulted to a direct reply instead of posting to the group :-(

Yes
USB options are good. I think there is a 2in 2out (one stereo channel
each way) device by behringer that is around 50 bucks now. More than an
internal device obviously. I have used one on a Ubuntu laptop a few
years ago. Worked immediately tho I had to tell pulseaudio to use it
instead of the built in one

Pulseaudio does not replace the need for
alsa or OSS (depreciated) drivers. I will definitely spend a few minutes
on the layers of sound processing on Linux during my November talk

Brent

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.

FROM: CrankyOldBugger
SENT: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 2:10 PM
TO:
KWLUG discussion
REPLY TO: KWLUG discussion
SUBJECT: [kwlug-disc]
Linux supported sound cards

Hi everyone...

I just found out the
other day that the sound card (Creative Labs Audigy FX) in my dual boot
desktop doesn't have Linux drivers (specifically, Ubuntu). Windows side
works fine. In travelling around Creative Labs' website, I noticed a
serious lack of Linux commitment from CL.

Does anyone have experience
with any sort of PCI-e sound card that has available Linux drivers? I
value "cheap" over "lots of flashy lights". And being half deaf, I don't
really care for some audiophile-level sound machine, just something that
can drive my external speakers reasonably well (the sound card on the
motherboard has issues, thus my need for a separate card).