[kwlug-disc] Linux supported sound cards

peter_melse at gto.net peter_melse at gto.net
Tue Sep 1 14:51:58 EDT 2015

ah yes OSS, I think the last time I encountered it in the wild was
Mandrake 8.1

-------------------------
SUBJECT: Re: [kwlug-disc] Linux
supported sound cards
DATE: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 14:45:28 -0400
FROM: "R.
Brent Clements"
TO: "peter_melse at gto.net"
REPLY-TO: KWLUG discussion

Pulseaudio does not replace the need for alsa or OSS (depreciated)
hardware level drivers. But yes, the USB audio devices are quite well
supported

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.

FROM: peter_melse at gto.net
SENT: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 2:43 PM

TO: KWLUG discussion
REPLY TO: KWLUG discussion
SUBJECT: Re:
[kwlug-disc] Linux supported sound cards

I'd look into usb sound
cards, I've had good luck with the cheap ones. (and
pulseaudio)

-------------------------
SUBJECT: [kwlug-disc] Linux
supported sound cards
DATE: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 18:07:35 +0000
FROM:
CrankyOldBugger
TO: KWLUG discussion
REPLY-TO: KWLUG discussion

Hi
everyone...

I just found out the other day that the sound card
(Creative Labs Audigy FX) in my dual boot desktop doesn't have Linux
drivers (specifically, Ubuntu). Windows side works fine. In travelling
around Creative Labs' website, I noticed a serious lack of Linux
commitment from CL.

Does anyone have experience with any sort of PCI-e
sound card that has available Linux drivers? I value "cheap" over "lots
of flashy lights". And being half deaf, I don't really care for some
audiophile-level sound machine, just something that can drive my
external speakers reasonably well (the sound card on the motherboard has
issues, thus my need for a separate card).