[kwlug-disc] OT: SSD disks?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Nov 8 14:45:16 EST 2015

A while ago I posted on this group about me replacing a spinning disk with
an SSD disk for my laptop. I later gave a presentation on how I did it.

So, the OCZ Vertex SSD that I had died yesterday with no warnings. Now slow
I/O or anything. The disk I/O light went on, and the entire laptop froze.
Upon rebooting, the BIOS would not even recognize the disk and tries PXE
netwook booting.

I swapped the old spinning disk back and copied the daily backup that I had
for my home directory. But this disk is not very healthy per SMART.

I am looking for a disk to replace the one I have now, preferrably an SSD
disk, but I want a reliable one this time, but not too expensive.

My laptop uses only 30GB of the current disk, so even a 120GB disk is
enough. If there is a good deal, I will go up to a higher capacity (250GB
or so).

There is $10 off on Silicon Power (a brand I never heard of before).

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/silicon-power-silicon-power-s60-120gb-520mb-s-sata-iii-slim-solid-state-drive-sp120gbss3s60s25-sp120gbss3s60s25/10362950.aspx

There is a Kingston for about the same:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/kingston-technology-kingston-technology-ssdnow-v300-120gb-solid-state-drive-sv300s37a-120g-sv300s37a120g/10241483.aspx

Similar models and prices are available at Canada Computers.

Any recommendations on what models are reliable, reasonably priced, and
where to buy?

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.