[kwlug-disc] Other KWLUG logistics

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 5 22:54:11 EST 2015

There is LOTS of good stuff here.

However ... the topic quickly degrades (and has) to where it really needs to happen face to face in person, particularly where there can be back and forth and fleshing out of ideas and details. Out of band even. e.g. In essence many of Bob's suggestions amount to workshops (no bad thing), particularly with free form discussion surrounding it. Inherently, the follow on question is: of what type, when, how, ... (face to face may bring efficiencies in working such out).

- no, the absolute answer (42) isn't going to be reached in one sitting.

I don't agree with:
> (The people who are attending KWLUG meetings find them plenty
> worthwhile;) ... it's the people who are no longer attending KWLUG meetings
> who didn't. Of course, those people are not going to be providing

> their input on how to improve things.

Many will. Many list lurkers don't / seldom / no longer attend meetings, for lots of (life) reasons. Doesn't mean they're not interested in KWLUG, nor that they don't have valuable input to share and are so willing. One or short offs they may well participate in, versus long term / regular time commitments.

More basic will be discerning such things as:
- what audience is KWLUG trying to hit?
- what is that audience interested in?
- how do they want it delivered? (e.g. lectures vs workshop vs free form vs ...)
- how are they reached? (e.g. kwlug-announce, twitter, web page)
- how are they discovered / do they discover KWLUG?
- how to mind/monitor all of the above on a consistent basis to ensure continuous audience engagement.

- whither Linux/FOSS in all of this?

I expect there are many audiences / interests, e.g. Linux vs Android, video vs sound, to be intermingled. e.g. A linux-centric meeting per quarter, one android, one <whatever>. Let alone combinations, such as Linux audio song shuffling vs Android video capture and publication. Discerning, delivering, and managing a topic list will be a challenge - thus the face to face / collecting together of those interested and willing to put time in to make it happen.

One thing not mentioned thus far ... content need not come in locally, in person, and individually. Nothing says a youtube 'How to get Kodi up and running.' couldn't be played, with a round table / workshop afterwards, with local Kodi aficionados to hand to help.

Which adds the question, to those posed above, topic selection / scheduling, as determined by ???

This actually reverses things from "what does someone have a presentation for" to "what do people want to see a presentation on" (and what is your favourite youtube link that does so).