[kwlug-disc] Mandria is over ...

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Thu May 28 13:07:03 EDT 2015

I flip-flopped over the years trying a lot of distributions (even Corel
Linux at one point) starting with Slackware 97 and sticking with
Ubuntu-based variations for the past several years. I bought Mandrake back
when  they sold boxed editions. I also bought SuSE 9.2 (just after Novell
bought it). I enjoyed both distributions when I used them. I remember
loving SuSE Professional because the physical documentation was extremely
good, but when 9.3 came out it took more resources than my notebook could
handle. At that point I think I switched to Fedora Core. Paul N. converted
me to Debian-based distributions when I started working with him on
wclp.sourceforge.net. I really haven't looked back from Debian-based
distributions since.

If Ubuntu forks away from Debian I might look again at pure Debian or some
variant. Sad to see Mandriva go, but they always seemed to be in trouble.
Like many I'm surprised they lasted so long.

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 9:16 AM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't know about Debian, but I'm really excited about the possibility of
> a Canonical IPO.
>

> On Tue, 26 May 2015 at 23:44 William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>> You know, pretty soon, Debian will go out of business.
>> --
>> William
>>
>> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:07:29PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>> > For me, once I saw the light of .deb + central repositories, I never
>> looked
>> > back ...

>> Mandrake/Mandriva
>> use

>> Mandrake,

>> > --
>> > Khalid M. Baheyeldin
>> > 2bits.com, Inc.
>> > Fast Reliable Drupal
>> > Drupal optimization, development, customization and consulting.
>> > Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. --  Edsger W.Dijkstra
>> > Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --   Leonardo da Vinci
>> > For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
>> > wrong." -- H.L. Mencken

Charles McColm, Author: Instant XBMC,
Columnist: Full Circle Magazine,
Project Manager: The Working Centre Computer Recycling Project
Web: http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux