[kwlug-disc] And so it begins...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jul 29 23:24:05 EDT 2015

You are referring to the Clipper chip?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_chip

For the FCA remote hack ...

As with airlines, where avionics and "other stuff" are separate, cars
should have the ECU, power train and other essential features separate from
other stuff (entertainment, climate, OnStar et al, ...)

Upgrades should not be over the air. Even if Tesla does it! It should be
via a physical connection.

OBD-II comes to mind, but even that is causing problems in Europe where
crooks have crafted contraptions that are able to duplicate keys.

The more connected the world is, the more dumb (and stupid) devices that
will be accessed. Now it is cars, later hospital equipment, HVAC, and then
IoT ...

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 11:11 PM, B.S. <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> The sad part is ... such access (via cell, even) should never have been
> enabled or designed in in the first place. Even wi-fi access is doubtful -
> at least post-delivery. Such capability would have to have been engineered
> in, passed QA, let alone the spec writers, approval checkpoints ... Bad
> idea all around. If the first rule of security is physical security (door
> locks - NOT EXTERNALLY CONTROLLABLE!), the second rule ...
>
> Never mind auto-alerts ... your car has been accessed, if this is
> unexpected ...
>
> google/gmail/android does this - this is a solved problem.
>

> Nobody should think it's only Fiat Chrysler with the ability.
>

> I am so minded of the kerfuffle some years back about NSA requiring a back
> door to a crypto chip. (I forget the details.)

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken