[kwlug-disc] Website Wishlist

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jul 15 10:08:21 EDT 2015

On 14/07/15 16:32, John Johnson wrote:
> On 2015-07-11 00:09, Andrew Sullivan Cant wrote:
>> Given that kwlug.org does not change that much, and discussion is
>> handled in the mailing list it seems like a good option.
>> We could remove the general posting functionality, and just aggregate
>> the FLOSS related blogs of members.
>>
> <BUZZZZZZ>
> More than once I have referred to my own contributions in the member's
> blog area.
> And I am certainly far from a prolific contributor.
>
> I have also reviewed contributions from others.
>
> I, for one, would like to see the member blogs remain - in one form or
> another.

John,

We should definitely preserve the existing KWLUG blog content, but I
would still like to stop the KWLUG site for being responsible for
creating new blog content. We have limited resources and time, and it is
just one requirement that makes the site harder to maintain.

And there are now lots of blogging options available, and ones which are
relatively FLOSS friendly. Figuring out how to advise and support
members who want a blog would be cool. Might be something that could be
outreach to non-members as well.

Maintaining a separate KWLUG blog site or some other distributed social
network type thing might also be interesting.
But I really would like to keep it separate from the code of the main site.

Andrew