[kwlug-disc] Website Wishlist

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 14 15:10:25 EDT 2015

On 13/07/15 14:18, B.S. wrote:
> Excellent. Thanks for taking the time to note your thoughts / 're'examine what www.kwlug.org should be.
>
>>   - transcript (this would also be fancy given the amount of work it
>>     would take but valuable for search-ability and accessibility)
>

> Seems to me I saw something a while back about YouTube now automatically generating closed captions, absent otherwise explicitly specified caption source.
>
> Transcription (at this level?) is voice recognition?
>
> Is there some FOSS out there to which a video is played to and a '.srt' auto-generated?
>
> Never having done this sort of thing, perhaps it is a better init than starting from scratch? (Seems to me I've seen comments where trying to correct badly done voice recognition generated documents is so onerous that some preferred to start from scratch on their own / typing it all themselves.)

I have no idea. :) This is very much at the level of nice to have
research project. And we have to get the video/audio handling work
before even thing about transcriptions.

>> * wiki section to be able to collect other information about FLOSS in
>> the region
>

> There's a wiki?
>
> If not, it seems arguable that there should be.
>
> It also seems arguable as to why limit it to FLOSS in the region, and arguable that it could be open to and replace member blogs? Making cross-linking (wikiwords / #hashtags?) easier, and perhaps even auto-cross-referencing?

Currently we can add static pages to the Drupal site, but it does not
handle any of the automatic linking that would usually be associated
with a wiki.

Andrew