[kwlug-disc] 'Canned' talks viable as presentations?

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Mon Jul 13 14:32:44 EDT 2015

Given the richness of youtube et al, a la old film nights, when local presenters run dry of material is such a source of material / 'presentations'?

Given the excruciating amount of work preparing presentation material takes, why reinvent the wheel / why not take advantage of what's out there?

There could be 'theme nights', and post-presentation local round table discussion, as was mentioned some are interested in seeing.

Off the top of my head, if you take the topic of 'backups' for example, even if only 'rsync', the useful graphics and/or animation showing replication out of box, perhaps even to off-site archive aging, would be quite onerous to author. And is probably already out there. Leverage it?

Just a thought. Especially for a local post-Q&A where people can help each other out with aspects some didn't quite get, debate merits, or whatever.

Andrew's coming talk on git minds me of the same. I'd bet there's good presentation material out there already, and graphically illustrating the concepts of distributed SCCSs ... we'll I'd find needing to create such for a presentation pretty intimidating.

Not to take anything from Andrew, as his talk seems well defined and constrained to his own experiences. Perhaps there's a larger theme of git and/or SCCS for a 'theme', if people are interested.