[kwlug-disc] Technology big box stores

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 20 16:34:21 EDT 2015

Chas ... might try Orion sooner, next time? IF they're open at the time.

>> For a city hosting the University of Waterloo this town sure does
>> have a dearth of real computer stores.

I've long suspected it's nothing to do with UofW, there's a general
dearth of good computer bricks & mortar stores everywhere.

It wouldn't at all surprise me that we only have a CC -because- of UofW
proximity.

There was a time when Wal-Mart seemed to be carrying rather more than
expected things, but seems less now. I gather it's quite different
(there) in the U.S.

Given my frustration with inventory levels at CC, I've noted to myself
for next time to order online at CC when such hits again.

Perhaps something worth considering, Jeff, when next you think of buying
online - see if cc (online) is cheaper than amazon. At least if
something has to go back you can go into your local store and whine
until they're willing to take it (on their truck when next it goes back
to H.O.).

shopbot.ca has been proving useful, too.

And take a page out of Khalid's book ... ncix, cc, and others I suspect,
will price match. Making shopbot invaluable.

On 04/20/2015 11:40 AM, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> I've been having good luck with Amazon lately, to be honest.  Not
> that I don't want to support the local guys, but I find inventory
> levels at Canada Computers to be a bit frustrating.
>
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 at 11:19 Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account)
> < aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:
>

>> I have tried over the last… decade… to buy something from Computer
>> XS. I’ve never been able to find what I’ve wanted there. SATA
>> cable? Sorry, no stock. Bluetooth (not 2.4GHz proprietary wireless)
>> mouse? Nope. Case? nope. Laptop? They only had oddball systems
>> there.
.
.
.