[kwlug-disc] Proposal for a talk - User space - Keeping your data synchronized

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sun Apr 19 11:57:59 EDT 2015

Is that not going to get bogged down into what is essentially a software
survey rather than completely covering off "Here's a solution you can
entirely go home and implement right now." (cause all details were able
to be covered in the time available)?

Or to put another way ... duplicate what just happened with btrfs.

I went to that, running btrfs myself, hoping to get a better sense of
what to do when things  go wrong (and they will), to be better prepared
/ more confident when they do. It's hard to grok an ecosystem and have
confidence that that destructive testing step I'm about to take in a
recovery effort is indeed the Right Thing To Do (tm) - in the moment.

Which is not to knock the presentation, the presenter, or the time - in
any way shape or form. I very much enjoyed the discussion and
camaraderie and sharing - but it really only got as far as a common
group sinking into 'the nature of the beastie' of btrfs.

e.g. I think I now (finally!) comprehend scrubbing (not an intuitive
term), but still don't get snapshots (which are intuitively one thing,
but misnamed and perhaps better called 'baselines'). i.e. I get the
concept of a snapshot, but the misnaming makes consequent concepts
baffling. And I can reread the wiki over and over and still not get it -
while this group environment helped a very great deal. But we were never
able to get to whatever the cross-system / roots (?) btrfs (redundancy /
recovery) magic is.

Not that the presentation could have gone on much longer ... people were
beginning to tune out.

So ... for the proposed topic ... is it too much in one go? Why the
need, what's out there, and the specific solution chosen and how
implemented, being a lot to cover in one go?

[I'm minded of Raul's excellent remote support (?) presentation, which
ended up suffering much like btrfs did, above. IIRC.]