[kwlug-disc] Technology big box stores old news

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sun Apr 19 11:15:36 EDT 2015

BestBuy said long ago they would keep both brands (there still being
value / profit in both (see 'goodwill', branding, or marketing),
especially in some markets / locations), but consolidate all the back
end processes. And have done so as far as I know.

Recently (it seems to me) they've taken further consolidation steps -
closing some duplicate stores in some markets (thus John's original
message), and, as seen in Waterloo, beginning the recommunicating of
things - so Waterloo is Future Shop operated by Best Buy, now. Which is
all to say ... the cosmetic evolution continues, but not much has
changed. (Thus the 'old news' comment.)

- seems to me I'm also seeing both fragment streams off a bit, and
you'll see FutureShop mobile (kiosks within other stores) as a location
now. Presumably attempting to keep brand awareness up.

Staples has been moving inventory / ordering steadily to online for some
time now. Went looking for a staples the other day, and it seems to me
there are fewer stores in the area now. Probably the trend for such
noted in this thread.

- John's original message is well taken - the fallout from Target's
closing being new / burping in various ways. e.g. Tech items showing up
at TigerDirect. And, as he/others point out, the fallout of area store
consolidations.

Let alone stores trying to evolve, given jj's comment.

Let's remember that on that, consumers can be their own worst enemies.
At more than one vendor I keep hearing "If it's been opened I can't sell
it." (or only at a discount). Just because a box has been opened
shouldn't cause us to seek a discount. I don't care about the packaging,
I care about the guts! (Mind you ... manufacturers don't always help
themselves - having a list of package contents, and checking them before
purchase, is prudent.) Just bought a cheap antenna at FactoryDirect,
only to get home to discover the power injector was missing. Requiring
another trip.

So I get the attraction of sealed boxes ... but how is one to look /
grok beasties without opening things up.