[kwlug-disc] BTRFS Slides

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 15 12:14:54 EDT 2015

Thanks Chris

An interesting and informative presentation.

Looking forward to part two.

Initially, I felt that I can/should convert everything from ext* to btrfs.
But as the presentation progressed, I felt that there are many caveats.

For example, one still needs LVM for swap. I avoided LVM in the past (not
that it is bad, just another part I don't need), and don't want to
introduce it just to get btrfs going.

There is also the lack of support for higher levels of RAID, though RAID-1
works well.

And there is fragmentation, and recommendation against btrfs for MySQL.

One thing you can add to the future part two is : if I am now on ext*, how
do you convert to btrfs?
Is there a migration tool to do that?
Or you have to tar/cpio everything then copy things over?
If I start with a full backup of the current system, what is it that I need
to do after a restore (change file system types in /mount-point/etc/fstab,
or there is more to it that that).
How do I restore a system and over a btrfs-RAID configuration?

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:

> Hopefully everybody got some knowledge on BTRFS today. I didn't get a
> chance to cover some topics like snapshots, gotchas, and more
> importantly, the troubles I had (mostly self-inflicted) and how I
> recovered from them. Maybe the latter is better left for a blog post.
>
> Anyway, I've posted the slides (as-used) on my blog[1]. Also, I believe
> they will be added to kwlug.org.
>
> 1. https://chrisirwin.ca/posts/btrfs-presentation/
>
> If anybody wants to try out BTRFS, I don't want to discourage you,
> HOWEVER, I can't stress the importance of backups enough. BTRFS can be
> treated like a "normal" filesystem, but you can experiment and
> enable enough extra features that will quickly leave you in a bit of
> pain.
>
> If there are any other questions, please post them to the list. There
> were a lot in the meeting, and probably some we didn't get to for time.
>
> --
> Chris Irwin
>
> email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
>  xmpp:   chris at chrisirwin.ca