[kwlug-disc] Technology big box stores

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Apr 12 10:10:38 EDT 2015

Add to that TheSource. Which is just another Futureshop/BestBuy clone.

Also you have the online only guys, like NCIX.

Others specialize more, such as Staples with office and furniture, and
Canada Computers with more tech stuff.

Futureshop was sold to BestBuy a long time ago (10+ years?) It did not make
any sense to keep the two brands going, with stores close by. Almost
everything in their inventory overlapped. I am surprised that it took them
that long to realize this is not efficient.

I found that sometimes ordering some items online is cheaper than the same
items in store (if they had that in the inventory), even when you add
shipping. I am talking about the same item from the same store online vs.
retail.

The trend it seems that stores will rely on online sales as their main
revenue/profit source, with stores shrinking, perhaps in size and in
numbers.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 9:59 AM, <jekerr at sdf.org> wrote:

> Hi gang
>
> Tiger Direct has everything in the store up to 40% off the lowest ticketed
> price. Two big box stores have merged and closed stores. I think Staples
> has closed some stores as well.
>
> Are the profit margins strong enough to keep so many stores open?
>
> Are we seeing a trend here?
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers
>
> John